Archaeology and Prehistory
- Paleoanthropology, evolution of the hominids and Homo;
- Archaeology and multidisciplinary studies of Middle and Late Stone Ages, historical archaeology;
- Rock art.
Medieval, Early Modern and Contemporary History of Southern African Societies
- Long distance connections, integration of Southern Africa in Atlantic and Indian Ocean circulations, material and cultural circulations since the first millennium CE;
- Social history, imperial history, social and racial hierarchies, slavery;
- Current issues of memory in Southern Africa, historical régimes, construction of fields and categories.
Contemporary Dynamics: Urbans Studies, Democratic and Economic Transformations
- Geography and urban studies, historical development of Southern African cities, governance, access to public services, security, spatial justice, right to the city, city memory;
- Migration studies, borders, xenophobia;
- Democratic mutations in Southern Africa, electoral dynamics, citizenship and its transformation, identity policies, nation-building processes;
- Resources, economic policy, comparative development economics, labor;
- Education, youth, social movement.